Our History

Decorative.  Joseph S. Neidig Elementary School.
About Joseph S. Neidig Elementary School

On April 4, 1957, an architectural firm was hired to begin plans for an elementary school to be built at the corner of Forest Avenue and Penrose Street. The preliminary plans were approved on July 11, 1957. The Quakertown School Board chose the name of the new school on September 5, 1957. The Joseph S. Neidig School was named after Mr. Neidig, who was supervising Principal of the entire school district. The Free Press called Mr. Neidig "the community's foremost citizen, educator, church layman, and civic leader." On October 17, 1957, the school board unanimously accepted the final plans for the new elementary school.

The cornerstone laying for the new building occurred on June 19, 1958. Included within the cornerstone was a Bible, a list of school directors, a copy of the Free Press, a copy of the resolution for the death of Joseph S. Neidig, and a list of local elementary school teachers. Ironically, Mr. Neidig did not see the completion of the school that was named for him. Sadly, he passed away on April 5, 1958.

Construction on the school continued during 1958 and 1959. Joseph S. Neidig Elementary School was finally dedicated in March of 1959.

Thousands of students have walked the halls of Neidig and received not only a great education but the support and encouragement of many wonderful teachers and staff.

Our Mascot

During the construction of our addition in 1987, some of our concerned neighbors, a family of ducks, caused some interference with the construction crews. The crews even moved their construction trailers to allow these ducks to finish the nesting period. It is not unusual to see descendants of "Joe Neiduck" still hovering around our campus.   

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.